Friday, December 5, 2008

"Lives of a Cell"

Today I thought I will diverge from my usual post about some cell lessons. Today I would like to share a favorite quotation from an author who made me think about cells in a different way. I'm talking about Lewis Thomas who wrote "Lives of A Cell" sometime in 1971.

I'm lucky I was able to listen to Lewis Thomas in person when I was studying in the US in 1979 - 1980. He was as fascinating in person as in his book.

The following lines are found in the 1st page of his book.
"I have been trying to think of the earth as a kind of organism, but it is no go, I cannot think of it this way. It is too big, too complex, with too many working parts lacking visible connections... If not like an organism, what is it like, what is it most like? Then, satisfactorily it came to me: it is most like a single cell".
- Lewis Thomas
"Lives of A Cell"

What do you think? Why did Lewis Thomas think of the earth as like a single cell?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...