Sunday, December 7, 2008

one more from Lewis Thomas

I mentioned in one of my earlier post (Nov 1) that my favorite part of the cell is the cell membrane. Well, I was happy to rediscover this paragraph while I was rereading Lewis Thomas' "Lives of a Cell" the other day...

"It takes a membrane to make sense out of disorder in biology. You have to be able to catch energy and hold it, storing precisely the needed amount and releasing it in measured shares. A cell does this, and so do the organelles inside. Each assemblage is poised in the flow of solar energy, tapping off energy from metabolic surrogates of the sun. To stay alive, you have to be able to hold out against equilibrium, maintain imbalance, bank against entropy, and you can only transact this business with membranes in our kind of world".

All I can say is "Amen" to this. Lewis Thomas speaks exactly what I think about cell membranes. What do you think?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...